Friday, November 19, 2010

Waiting and Advent...




Advent...a time of expextant waiting and anticipation. I have been looking up ideas for Advent for our family this year. Last year, we tried to read with the girls every night for advent and talk through what Christmas is really about. They were old enough that Anniiyah would read her children's bible and Caleb and I would read out of another book. This year will look different having a 3 year old and a newborn, but we want to start our advent traditions while they are young. Thinking about what advent means at the end of pregnancy brings up many similarities...I am in one of the greatest periods of "expectant waiting and anticipation" that I ever feel. When I was pregnant with Ava, I was having her so close to Christmas that I read a lot about Mary. What must she have felt like? All the anticipation of your first child?! I thought about how I would feel if Caleb told me "Honey, I am going to take you on a long trip on a donkey...I mean I know you are 9 months pregnant, but we have to do this!" This time, being pregnant so close to the beginning of Advent, I think about how I prepare to celebrate the coming of Christ this year (and each year). Caleb and I tend to not be the most "prepared" people in general. I am just excited that it's two days before my due date and I actually have my stuff in a bag and we found the car seat (which I cleaned off from Ava finally)! I think about how I prepare my heart for this Advent season. Am I waiting in anticipation to celebrate Christ coming to this world as a baby? To be honest, my heart is pretty self focused and I am thinking more about "not being pregnant" than anything else. As I continue to wait for the arrival of baby Starr, I pray that I am able to prepare my heart a little more for the season that we are about to celebrate. NOTE: I am still VERY ready for the baby to be here and I am pretty sure he is never coming out...but why focus on that:) I found a picture from last Christmas when we set up our tree with the kids. They kept breaking things and would say "OH NO! Christmas is broken!" Excited to have new Christmas pics from this year...I really enjoy the Holidays!

1 comment:

Mom/Carol said...

I am so glad that you, too, are thinking of Advent. It's a faith season that almost sneaks up on us, especially since we travel so often over Thanksgiving. It is truly a WONDERful time-- a time of quiet expectancy, a time of waiting and knowing that God is about to reveal something that only God can do.